Traffic Control Technician I
Seasonal Construction (May be full time depending on availability of work)
Finger Lakes Traffic Control LLC is a traffic control sub-contractor providing flaggers, traffic control & other traffic related services to a
variety of contractors throughout NY/PA. We are based out of Elmira, NY but work throughout the Northeast. We are currently offering an ongoing recruitment period for traffic control
technicians to in preparation for the upcoming construction season. The position of Traffic Control Technician I involves a variety of duties which include setting up and
maintain work zone traffic control of all types as well as incidental tasks such as flagger, loading/unloading trucks for jobs & occasional shop related work to assist in the maintenance of
company equipment. Traffic Control Flaggers/Technicians are responsible for safety of fellow co-workers, the general public and the employees of the clients we serve. Therefore, all employees are
trained in safe traffic control practices and are subject to continuous classroom and on the job training and evaluation by supervisory staff. FLTC LLC is a drug free workplace.
Hourly Wage: Rate varies depending on contract type, employee skillsets, and employee long term performance. The employee base rate represents the lowest paid
rate for field/shop related work.
Base rate ranges from $18-24/Hr* for qualified candidates.
*Prevailing Wage Rate Work Available: Assignment of employees to prevailing jobs is based on but not limited to factors such as seniority, job performance, skillsets,
available work, scope of available work, geographic location of work and other applicable scheduling factors.
Mandatory Job Functions:
A Traffic Control Technician I must fulfill the following functions:
- Have a personable and outgoing attitude and demonstrate a willingness to take initiative and thoroughly complete all tasks given to them in a safe & efficient
- Complete a full work shift of physical labor (must be able to lift 50 lbs on a repetitive and basis throughout the day without abnormal fatigue) while standing for
extended periods of time with limited breaks. Very often this is performed in extreme weather (i.e. Heat, Rain, Snow Etc.)
- Demonstrate excellent communications skills and be able to delegate specific instructions to other team members in a clear, firm & courteous manner. In
conjunction must be a good listener and respond to instructions in the same manner.
- Demonstrate ability to use signalizing, guidance & communication devices (i.e. Flags/Paddles, Cones, Signage, Radios) to perform work in a safe manner in
accordance with all Federal & State specifications.
- Be able to move & maneuver quickly in order to avoid dangerous situations with errant vehicles & construction equipment.
- Be constantly alert with the ability to recognize dangerous situations & warn workers with sufficient time to avoid accidents & injury.
Additional Job Functions:
A Traffic Control Technician I must be able to demonstrate the following during their full course of
- Be on call 24/7 with the ability to travel to various locations for extended period of time within a moment’s notice. Must be adaptable to last minute schedule
- Meet given work schedules. (All work generally has no set starting or quitting time).
- Have a continuous source of dependable transportation.
- Be neat & clean in appearance with above average communication & interpersonal social skills.
- Remain attentive for extended periods of time while being courteous, patient & willing to work in a “Team-Based” setting.
- Be able to effectively cooperate with Supervisors, Team Leaders & Co-Workers. A respect for authority is crucial in this type of work environment as decision
making must be executed quickly and above all in a safe manner!
- Maintain and submit billing related work to main office on weekly basis (Timecards, Equipment Logs, etc.)
Job Skillsets & Required Training:
In order to be considered for a position at FLTC LLC as Traffic Control Technician I the following skills are required or preferred in
- Successfully complete employer administered traffic control training & display the ability to operate and use traffic control equipment in a manner that satisfies
the requirements of Federal (MUTCD) as well as all State (NYSDOT/PENNDOT) guidelines and provisions.
- Be knowledgeable and have a thorough understanding of said guidelines such that FLTC LLC, its clients and the public are not exposed to unsafe conditions or any forms
of legal liability.
- FLTC LLC provides the initial training courses (ATSSA Flagger, OSHA 10). Applicants are not paid to take these courses. Employment is contingent upon passing
these courses and all other requirement laid out in employee hiring guidelines. (Including pre-employment and random drug testing).
Additional Skillsets & Requirements for Employment:
In addition to the above items, a Traffic Control Technician I must also:
- Possess a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record (Subject to review during pre-employment screening process). A CDL A/B is not required but is favored as
we do have CDL class vehicles. Ability and experience in driving medium duty trucks is a valuable asset but not required.
- Must be able to transport yourself and equipment to the assigned job locations (Up to 75 Miles. Could be more on an occasional basis; Guidelines for
overnights/mileage re-imbursement apply depending on job scope conditions). An employee may be assigned to a different location each day (Not Typical).
- Wear a hard hat, safety vest/pants, safety boots and conform to employee dress code while on job site.
- A general knowledge and ability to use hand/power tools, weld, perform general light automotive wiring, fix truck components are all encourage skillsets. A background
in any automotive repair work particularly a background in diesel mechanic work is a major asset (Preferred but not required).
Typical Work Environment:
All employees must be able to not only conform but excel in the following work environment:
- Maintain a Drug Free Work environment. Random testing throughout the season on the work site.
- Extreme heat & cold temperatures with little to no shelter. Therefore one must have the ability to show up to work with the proper gear and devices to effectively
do their job.
- Operate in a stressful work environment (controlling intersections, working with large # of fellow employees, exposure to high traffic, keeping up with clients fast
- Early Start/Late Quitting Times. (Employees may commute up to 1.5 hours to job site. A typical work day in the summer may begin at 3AM and end at 9PM. This could
continue for more than (7) consecutive days at a time. Therefore employees are expected to be available on weekends unless advanced notice is given to employer. Availability to work night shifts is
also a must.)
- No cell phones permitted while working. Two cell phones violations will result in a termination of employment.
* * * Attendance Policy * * *
Finger Lakes Traffic Control LLC has a ZERO-TOLERANCE attendance policy. Please be aware of this before applying if this is a policy you can not adhere to.
Finger Lakes Traffic Control LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages qualified or qualifiable women,
minorities, and veterans to apply.
Interested in applying for this
If you wish to apply to this position there are several ways to
apply (See Below)
Option #1 (Online Application)
Fill out our online application at the bottom of this page. There is also a printable application that can be filled out and returned via the options represented
below. A submission of a resume and/or cover letter via e-mail, fax, traditional mail is strongly encouraged (See Instructions below).
Option #2 (E-mail Submission Only)
If you have a Resume/Cover letter to submit you may send a digital copy to the attention the Human Resource Manager. Note: Please fill out the
digital application or submit a printed version with your resume/cover letter.
Option #3 (Submission by
If you wish to fax an application/resume/cover letter use the following FAX #:
1 (607) 846-2422
Option #4 (Submission by Mail)
If you wish to mail a hardcopy application use the following address:
Human Resource Director
Finger Lakes Traffic Control L.L.C.
160 E. 14th St.
Elmira Heights, NY 14903
Please call (607) 795-7458. If there
is no answer please leave a message. We will get back to you ASAP (Please allow 1-2 business days)